Charles' 2011 Tacoma Build

Charles

Adventurist
I wanted to start a thread documenting my VERY slow build (I'm sure it will pick up pace after the last payment)

In late 2010 I bought a 2011 Tacoma TRD QuadCab shortbed...very short bed...(it seemed longer when i was looking at it in the dark.)

I was EXTREMELY impressed at the traction it has stock! (as a matter of fact, I really have to work to get it to break free in the snow and ice while in 4wd) Now I am trying to figure out what I can stuff into it. It seems the designers at Toyota have done a very good job at using all the interior space.

I started out in the Off-roaders paradise of Colorado, and have since moved to Galveston Tx. It is quite a change, and different conditions mean different vehicle mod priorities.

Installed:

-Bird Dawg Industries Tech Deck (This is a must for ALL Tacoma drivers...no, seriously!)

- For 2 meter work, I have a Yeasu FT-8800R (the repeater function is handy when hiking with a handheld)

- A first gen iPad 3g model. large screen (for bad eyes/quick reference) and the integrated GPS along with the small, light footprint and forever battery makes it VERY handy. ( I can download a terrain/trail map using MGRS or Lat long of a 50 mile radius of where I'm going in seconds, along with all my music and movies... multi-taskers are a favorite of mine)

- Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift Kit 05+ w/Light Racing Upper Control Arms (installed by Jeb at Armorology)

- All-Pro Offroad Rock Sliders (Love the kick outs) Welded on by Jeb at Armorology. (I have to say I miss living up there so I could see what he's up to, because his fab work is awesome!)

-Aries Offroad 3D Floor Liners

Things I have and are not installed:

- Hydraulic MileMarker 10.5K winch (needs rebuild) I pulled something like 30-40 pounds of cable off of it to make room for new line.

- A Honda 3.5k Generator - I use a lot of electricity sometimes (tech geek), and never mind loaning some out...I'll also be trying to dabble with some solar ideas.

- A Max Axe I have used em in the Army...and like that it saves space rather than carry separates (anything that I can use for 2 or more jobs wins IMHO)

- A Cobra 29 WX NW ST Still haven't found a mounting position I am happy with yet, so it is not bolted in yet. (multi-tasker with the weather button, but it is massive in space requirements) I'm eyeballing the C 75 WX ST

- A HiLift Jack....really don't think there's a need to explain this one
biggrin.gif

Things for future Purchase:

-
I would like to get an hour meter installed (I do a bit of Idling in my job)

- Bumper/winch mount front

- Bumper rear...pref with swing out fuel/water rack

- rebuild that winch! with synthetic line...

- Flippac

This is getting way to long so I'll sum up, I need to put all this in an order of accomplishment also. What is needed most for the trail first. ie...suspension first before loading with weighty equipment. Front and rear bumpers for good protection/snatch-block connections. Get the electronics figured out before tying more in to electrical.

Maintenance:

All oil changes use the Toyota oils filter and here's why

5w30 engine oil. Usually Castrol GTX, but Mobile was on sale a couple times.

Pro-long engine treatment went in right at the start, and is added every other change. STP oil treatment on the alternate. (I had a 94 Wrangler that I used Pro-long and Duralube in, In 99, I knocked the oil filter off while offroading in Kansas. The engine ran for 20 minutes while I dug myself out, not knowing I had zero oil. When the vehicle was sent in to have the engine remounted and repaired, no cylinder scoring or engine damage was found. It may be a coincidence, may be a hot debate, but I'll stick with it anyway.)

Air/Cabin filters are changed every other oil change (I work in a very dusty environment, and it's not good for me to forget)

If you have read all this, I thank-you. I will be adding more to this/ editing as time allows.

Charles
View media item 20View media item 11View media item 10View media item 12View media item 9View media item 7View media item 6View media item 5View media item 2View media item 1View media item 3

Last edited:
Sounds like a promising build on a proven platform... let's see some pictures Charles!

Thanks guys,

I will be constantly updating the first post to keep up with what I have to date. Still more details/pics to add.

A Lot of changes have been made over the last few years, both with me, and the truck.
Between 90 hour work weeks, Hurricane Harvey (In which I forded water to get my brother and his family to safety after they had to be evacuated by boat...twice), the subsequent rebuilding of his house (whatever I could in the few hours off I had) and moving all my kids to Colorado, I am finally able to catch a breath, and show updates on truck progress. (hell of a run-on sentence)

Anyway, new bumper! Front and rear! New Fogs, New winch, New lightbar! New headlights...twice, New Taillights (got that one right the first time) New Nav Tablet... did I forget to mention my truck got broken into?

Ok, lets start with the Headlights/Taillights:
I originally bought a set of Spyder Smoke Euro Headlights to darken up the front end a little. They were WAY darker than I expected. It was so bad I couldn't see at night. I quickly ordered a set of Lumen Black Factory style Headlights with the clear lenses to fix this. Thank god for express shipping. I upgraded the Bulbs to LED on AliExpress with the LYC 60watt, 6k Bulbs (Yes as a matter of fact, I am that cheap. Besides most of what were buying is funneled from there anyway) I will admit that within 2 weeks one bulb failed, but a replacement was shipped from whom I bought them, and I was ok with that at the price point.

At the same time I ordered the Spyder Smoked Tail Lights. Love em, they were perfect. During this time, I upgraded all the light bulbs I could find with LED's from Auto Zone.

There have been some "incidents" the past couple years that have caused some damage.

One was when a 4 wheel Gator backed into my front bumper and proceeded to leave as if nothing had happened. That was fixed with a brand new Pelfreybilt Aluminium front bumper. I went aluminium for 2 reasons; weight, and corrosion resistance. Since I am on the South Coast, and never more than a few blocks from the beach on this Island, driving into wind blown sand is a concern.

On the bumper:
I have mounted a Rugged Ridge Nautic Winch w/Synthetic rope. Again, I'm on a beach, and the whole damn state seems to flood every 6 months now, so the IP67 rating appealed to me. I have used this dozens of times already pulling people out of mud and sand. It has worked like a champ. To read more on winches, I would recommend this article.

I have also mounted a 22" Chinese Light Bar (I can see you smirking, but I don't care) Some slight modifications were made and it "fit"(as it wasn't a Baja Design light). It uses Cree chips, is IP68, 6k color temp... If you do your homework on them, and dig around enough, you can get some decent lasting stuff on the sites. Again, I'm buying to price points.

Fog lights were another issue. You see, Pelfrybilt bumpers are designed to take Baja Designs lights...specifically. While you can put other lights in, good luck, they won't fit the same. Its a 3inch round that is recessed and the mounting tab is not adjustable. so, again on Aliexpress with my measurements in hand. I settled on these and modified them slightly. I don't run HID, so I got them without bulbs. I rewired the connectors from the factory harness to a plug compatible with H11 bulbs, and jammed a LED bulb in...They Worked! I'll post better pics of that later.

It's getting late. I will get back on tomorrow and continue.

Back
Top Bottom