2015 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Evo

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
I finally decided it was time for a new hardtail. Not that I didn't love my old bike, but it was time for something a little more advanced as I have access to some pretty killer single track and cross country style riding here. I looked at Giant (I had a Giant Sedona long ago that I really liked) but the new models just didn't speak to me, checked out the new Trek X-Caliber 9 which is a very nice hardtail and almost had me drinking the Trek kool-aid until I saw the Specialized Rockhopper Pro Evo 29'er... in "Gloss Moto Orange/Gallardo Orange/Black"...

0049265_specialized_rockhopper_pro_evo_650b_hardtail_mountain_bike_2015_sale.jpeg

:drool

It was love at first sight. My old hardtail, a 2005 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc, had served me well and is still in great shape so it was a no brainer for me to stay with Specialized. Specialized was founded in California in 1974 and I'm all about American brands when I can, especially when they lead in innovation and quality. The new Rockhopper EVO 29'er models are engineered with a slacker geometry, and spec'd with a longer travel fork, wider tires, and wider handlebars that feel just right for me. At the time of this writing, this is the top of the line Rockhopper (Insert big ol' grin here).

specialized.jpg

My local bike shop (LBS), THE BIKE SHOP TEMECULA, is a dealer and had it in stock in an XL frame size. It is important to support small local businesses so establishing this relationship for future service or parts issues locally just made sense for me. I hung out and talked to the staff and could tell right away that they have an outstanding service department so once I came to terms with the price tag - $1430 on sale - I felt like I was making a solid long term investment in health, happiness and sanity.

image.jpg

The bike is LIGHT compared to my old school chromoly bikes at only 28.1 lbs and comes with pretty good gear right out of the box:

FRAME: Specialized A1 SL Aluminum, EVO 29er geometry, fully butted tubesets, ORE downtube, tapered headtube, forged dropouts w/ disc mount, replaceable derailleur hanger

FORK: RockShox XC32 TK, Solo Air spring, 32mm stanchions, tapered alloy steerer, TurnKey damping w/ lockout, external rebound adjust, 15mm thru-axle, 120mm travel

HEADSET: 1-1/8" upper, 1-1/2" lower, Campy style, integrated sealed cartridge bearings

STEM: Specialized 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise, anti-corrosion hardware

HANDLEBARS: Specialized, low rise bar, double butted 6061 alloy, 9-degree backsweep, 5-degree upsweep, 15mm rise, 31.8mm

GRIPS: Specialized Body Geometry XC Contour, Kraton w/ gel, lock-on

FRONT BRAKE: Tektro Gemini Comp, hydraulic disc, resin/metallic pads, I-spec compatible

REAR BRAKE: Tektro Gemini Comp, hydraulic disc, resin/metallic pads, I-spec compatible

BRAKE LEVERS: Tektro Gemini Comp, hydraulic, reach adjust, I-spec compatible

FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM X5, 2x10, high mount

REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X9 Type 2, 10-speed, medium cage

SHIFT LEVERS: SRAM X5, 2x10, trigger

CASSETTE: Sunrace, 10-speed, 11-36

CHAIN: KMC X10, 10-speed, w/ reusable MissingLink

CRANKSET: Specialized Stout XC, 2x10, 2 pc., 24mm spindle, 36/22, anti-corrosion hardware

BOTTOM BRACKET: 24mm BSA for 2 pc. design, 73mm

PEDALS: Alloy, 1 pc. body, 9/16", w/ reflectors

RIMS: Specialized Stout XC, 29" disc, alloy double-wall, pin joint, 26mm inner width, 28/32h

FRONT HUB: Specialized Hi Lo disc, alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 15mm thru-axle, 32h

REAR HUB: Specialized Stout XC disc, alloy, RCC bearing system, QR, 32h

SPOKES: Stainless, 14g, black

FRONT TIRE: Specialized Ground Control Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, 29x2.3"

REAR TIRE: Specialized Ground Control Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, 29x2.3"

INNER TUBES: Standard, presta valve

SADDLE: Specialized Body Geometry mountain, steel rails, 143mm

SEATPOST: TranzX YSP02 Dropper, infinite adjust, external cable routing, remote lever, 30.9mm, 100mm travel

SEAT BINDER: Alloy, single bolt, w/ dropper post cable routing, 34.9mm

As you can see, the parts list is pretty good stock and if purchased "ala carte" would far exceed the pricetag of the bike. This is my first bike with this many SRAM components as Shimano has adorned every other bike I've had save one old Mongoose MTB I had that had SRAM Grip Shifts on it (I loved the old SRAM Grip Shifts FWIW).

sram-logo.jpg

Coming from Shimano XT and Deore components I have to say that SRAM has come a long way and I'm absolutely loving their accuracy and smoothness. I know there are many Shimano snobs in the cycling world that turn their nose up at anything non-asian but since SRAM is an American company (founded in Chicago, IL in 1987) and also owns Rock-Shox, Truvativ and Avid they're definitely quality in my book and I'm proud to support them.

2012-sram_x9_10-speed_rear_derailleur-large-en.jpg

One of the first things I had to get used to was that it's a 2x10 - the third chainring was eliminated up front resulting in reduced weight and less overlapping gear ratios. I'm seeing this on many new MTB's where the new hotness seems to focus on 10-speed capabilities and the guys down at the LBS say bikes don’t need triple chainrings, as most ratios are covered with the 20 speeds. Considering most vehicles only have 5 or 6 gears I'd say 20 is plenty and I'm pretty happy with this drivetrain.

specialized-rockhopper-pro-evo-2015-650b-mountain-bike-medium-soiled-.jpg

Sunrace 11-36 cassette with SRAM X-9 Type 2 10 speed derailleur handles the power

specialized-rockhopper-pro-evo-2015-650b-mountain-bike-medium-soiled- (1).jpg

And the brakes... hydraulic disc brakes are impressive to say the least. Stopping "right now" is an important safety concern for an ogre like me especially when I'm screaming downhill like a homesick brick... :D

10369198_932441836827240_6704786445686354687_n.jpg

Out and about, the bike looks as sharp as it rides

11542033_933778233360267_1110602370328488047_n.jpg

Usually I can't leave well enough alone and modify the crap out of stuff so before changing anything I put several epic rides in to see what, if anything, was really needed.

The biggest thing I found was that this bike begs to be ridden, and the combination of precise steering and super plush action of the Rock-Shox XC-32 air fork and 15 mm thru-hub "Maxle" with the BIG 29 inch X 2.3 inch wheels and tires allow me to eat up rough terrain that would have launched me over the bars on my old 26 inch Hardrock.

The dropper seatpost was low on my like list at purchase time but has proven to be a great feature for not only technical downhill trail sections but also making the bike smaller by easily dropping the seat down for vehicle loading and unloading. Just mash the lever and the seat drops all the way down, mash it again and it comes all the way back up or you can set it right where you like it - a pretty damn cool feature. This bike is a blast to ride in urban and dirt environments and the 29 inch wheels promote a high level of derring-do.

11222962_936226939782063_2626539441930880544_n.jpg

11665518_942246795846744_5196177570409226666_n.jpg

After the first 100 miles or so I added a few things with an eye towards minimalism.

With my big feet, the pedals were too small so I upgraded the pedals with these composite Ravager pedals from the Shadow Conspiracy in Florida - much larger than what the bike came with but lighter and at $20 I think they're a killer upgrade. Having your feet firmly planted is pretty important when it gets rough and since I like to "bike and hike" I'm not a fan of clip-on pedals or the little shoes...

image.jpg

Specialized bottle cage and new water bottle from Camelback. Aerogel insulation allegedly keeps water cold four times as long as regular sport bottles which is a huge advantage in hot weather riding. Hot water is no bueno on a hot ride so I'd say it was worth the $20.

image.jpg

JANND MOUNTAINEERING is a great SoCal company that's been making bags and accessories here for years. I carried this over from my old HardRock because it just works and carries tube, tools and misc crap when needed while not being too big. The large reflective strip on the back is a plus as it weighs nothing and adds to safety at night.

image.jpg

Another carry over from my old bike is a nice Blackburn air pump to round out my tool kit. Tunes and nav are important too so I searched and found a pretty good inexpensive way to securely carry my iPhone 6 on the bike where I can see it via the Satechi Ride Mate mount for about $25: SATECHI RIDEMATE MOUNT

image.jpg

Last edited:
Been waiting for this review.. good stuff. Specialized is my maker of choice too... nice bike dave!

Last edited:
Nice write up...and thanks for the LBS tip.

I've been looking for a decent Specialized dealer and have had spotty success here in SD North County.

Glad to see you're out having fun riding the new steed!

Looks like a nice ride and the color is fantastic.

To confirm, Specialized IS an American company but the bike is not American-made. Also, any input as to why the top tube, leading to the seat post, has that additional angle? Is this supposed to be a functional design in the frame or purely aesthetic?

Looks like a nice ride and the color is fantastic.

To confirm, Specialized IS an American company but the bike is not American-made. Also, any input as to why the top tube, leading to the seat post, has that additional angle? Is this supposed to be a functional design in the frame or purely aesthetic?

I would speculate that top tube is elevated to maintain the crown height of the front fork with the 29" wheels, while also maintaining standover height of what I am assuming is an XL frame.

Also noticed the taller rear wheel drop outs where the seat stays meet the chainstays...

View attachment 15346

Yeah, I thought about this after my last post as I had forgotten it's a 29er and not a 26er. And yes, it's an XL frame as Dave had noted.

Dave, you noted above how the 29" wheels made it possible to "eat up rough terrain" that you might be launched over in your 26er. I haven't had any experience on a 29er yet and have always wondered about this. It sounds like 29er may very well be the way to go. That said, did you try any 27.5" bikes when you were shopping? I'm curious about those as well.

Congrats again on the purchase. :)

To confirm, Specialized IS an American company but the bike is not American-made.

Whaddya mean "to confirm"?

Did I say it was American made? I merely stated the fact that Specialized, like SRAM, is an American company. Like Ford or Jeep...

To recap, here is what I did say:

Specialized was founded in California in 1974 and I'm all about American brands when I can, especially when they lead in innovation and quality.

I know there are many Shimano snobs in the cycling world that turn their nose up at anything non-asian but since SRAM is an American company (founded in Chicago, IL in 1987) and also owns Rock-Shox, Truvativ and Avid they're definitely quality in my book and I'm proud to support them.

Yeah, I thought about this after my last post as I had forgotten it's a 29er and not a 26er. And yes, it's an XL frame as Dave had noted.

Dave, you noted above how the 29" wheels made it possible to "eat up rough terrain" that you might be launched over in your 26er. I haven't had any experience on a 29er yet and have always wondered about this. It sounds like 29er may very well be the way to go. That said, did you try any 27.5" bikes when you were shopping? I'm curious about those as well.

Congrats again on the purchase. :)

Thanks. No I did not try any 27.5's but talking to the LBS guys it was easy to make up my mind on the 29'er based on their advice for my style of riding and my local terrain. Honestly, I just wasn't that interested in the 650b/27.5 inch wheel size bike.

The 29 is a good compromise for rough terrain and sandy washes - the next step up would be a fat bike but then I lose efficiency on pavement. The 29'er with it's fairly wide tires is a best of both worlds bike for me.

But I do like the fat bikes too... ;)

Last edited:
If American Adventurist didn't support American brands, that'd be nuts. That said, it's good to see American companies that build products here in the U.S.

I'm seriously giving consideration to giving the 29er a shot. I've read too much over the past few years that suggest it truly is an excellent all-around performer. As much as I love my 2005 Ellsworth Truth (which is a 26er), 29 is becoming quite intriguing.

Curious about the fat bikes as well. I bet they're awesome on sand and snow. That would actually be a fun trip to head out on a winter fat tire excursion.

If American Adventurist didn't support American brands, that'd be nuts. That said, it's good to see American companies that build products here in the U.S.

I'm seriously giving consideration to giving the 29er a shot. I've read too much over the past few years that suggest it truly is an excellent all-around performer. As much as I love my 2005 Ellsworth Truth (which is a 26er), 29 is becoming quite intriguing.

Curious about the fat bikes as well. I bet they're awesome on sand and snow. That would actually be a fun trip to head out on a winter fat tire excursion.

Agreed. One thing though that I've had to come to grips with is that though I do support American companies and American made as much as possible, it's just not always an option nor is it always in my best interest as a consumer to be hardnosed about made in USA. The fact is that today we really are in a global market and we as consumers have to make choices that make sense financially as well as ethically. At the end of the day it just has to work for you and I've always felt like I made a good choice with Specialized. We have 3 of them in our garage now and they've all been solid, long lasting bikes.

But those Surly fat bikes sure are tempting as an all around camp bike ;)

Agreed 100%. Quite honestly, there are a LOT of products not American-made that it's obviously a purchase decision to get the best a person can based on the budget he/she has.

The orange on your bike sure is sexy. I'd like to see it in person sometime so hopefully it'll be at an event I'll be at or maybe we can plan an MTB outing in 2016?

The orange on your bike sure is sexy. I'd like to see it in person sometime so hopefully it'll be at an event I'll be at or maybe we can plan an MTB outing in 2016?

Thanks, that would be fun.

Bought this from my LBS last week. It was the owners personal demo bike. He had already corrected a couple nits with the stock setup. Got a steal of a deal and let me get into the fatty easy. Added a pair of clipless winter shoes and some gloves. Going to ride through the New England winter! I have tons of trails accessible right from the house.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449497704.212833.jpg

It rolls nice on just about everything but the pavement! It's a real hoot on the stumps, roots and rocks. Running 8psi it's nice because the tires take the load before a suspension would have time to react -- wait, I don't have to talk to this bunch about tire pressures off-road.

For sure a camp bike!

Back
Top Bottom