Solar Jack Pump

100acre

Adventurist
image.jpg
image.jpg
If ever there was a long term interruption in the power grid and if you have a well and are not near a fresh , clean water source, I believe a solar jack pump might do the trick. My well is 600' deep with a static head of 72'. I could also install a deep hand or pitcher pump for manual use. If the head ever dropped below the current level due to drought, etc. and if there wasn't any current power, a solar powered pump might just do the trick. Has anyone had any experience with one?

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago91.html

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. This is the one significant hitch we have if there is a grid down situation. We have begun to research solar and even bought one of the harbor freight 45w kits, so we can experiment and learn hands on. We have along way to go, but this helps a lot.

John

I didnt read all the article, did they have an overall cost figure?

I built one cabin with solar, but used a 220v pump and generator for my well, and put a cistern in below the cabin. I could run the gen/well pump to fill the cistern then use 12/solar to pressure it up to use it. The deep well 12v pumps were about $2500 at the time, VS about $500 for a 220v pump.

I like the idea of having options for water. A hand pump would work fairly well on mine, its less than 100 ft.

I am now contemplating installing a cistern to hold up to 1,500 gallons underground to keep it from freezing. Currently I'm collecting rainwater from the barn and numerous other sources and storing it all above ground where it's prone to freezing. Currently holding 3000 gallons in tanks and totes. (That's 24,000 lbs of useless ice). I could just bury all the totes and I have a couple of pitcher pumps I could move to the cisterns for emergency access to water when the power goes out for extended periods especially during winter months.

I put the cistern under the cabin, I had them cast fittings into the top so I could run the plumbing plan I had, which included a pitcher pump for use on the kitchen sink, which was right above the cistern, I didn't end up setting it up, I never really had any trouble with solar to pressure up the cistern. It was a simple plan though, the pitcher pump on the cistern.

IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_7137.JPG
Ran the backhoe today and set in two 275 gallon totes. Gonna use the earth as insulation to keep the water from freezing solid in winter in order to have an emergency supply if power goes out like it did a few years ago for 2.5 weeks(melting snow on the wood stove for water; not fun). I'll insulate the tops and set a hand pump in either tank. I did all this at the base of my H20 tower where there's 1,200 gallons held in tanks up above so filling the buried tanks is all gravity and rain collected from the barn. I also had some aquaponics tanks left over I'm using to temporarily contain more water for future fire suppression.

Do you have gas powered pumps for the fire water?

Curious what your frost depth is. Would insulating the underground tanks with some cheap beadboard be worthwhile? (may be too late)

When living in cabins without running water, I kept a stockpot on the woodstove all the time to keep water warm for washing up or dishes. It wasn't a concerted effort to do water, it was always there ready for the most part, at least in winter.

IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
I have two Hand powered pitcher pumps and a 5.5 Hp gas powered water pump which I'll be using as part of my fire suppression capabilities. Lastly I also have this old electric motor belt driven Meyers Pump from the old days. The big cast aluminum thing can be powered by air, steam or water and can drive a shaft/wheel belts...

IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_7251.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG

I Wish I could change the title of this thread to Homestead Water Collective; Cisterns and Storage. Working with what you have....
When working on top of one of the tanks, the plastic cracked in a few places plus both tanks at one time had "Organic" Mulch Dye in them. So, I replaced them with two new bottles from other cages. I didn't have to remove the cages from the ground, thank God! They already had boards and backfill up against them. Here are some more pix of my system including the tower, top of the barn-my rain collector and the gutters. Gilligan and the Skipper would be proud of me for working with what I have. I'm gonna build a bamboo truck next....

I'm going to build a reinforced box over and around the in-ground tanks with a pitcher pump and sink. The tower poles are all in the ground 6' deep and whole structure is attached to the barn. I got a bunch of power poles from two different utility companies for free. I just had to load and haul them. That was interesting as some of them were 40+'. Tower is commo-wired to house for field phone usage.

Back
Top Bottom