Graphic Arts

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Anyone familiar with the old debate - Adobe vs Corel vs Affinity? Recently, I've gone down the proverbial rabbit hole playing around with some of this software. It's pretty fun coming up with ideas.

Anyone else here dabble in the arcane vector image arts?

I've been sucked into Adobe Creative Cloud. Mostly because of work. It was always well supported on iPhone and iPad. Now they're supporting Android. The service fee applies to access and not to the device so I can take a pic with my Pixel and bring it into Lightroom. I can then work on it on my iPad, Chrome book, and Laptop.

Definitely a fan of what Adobe offers, just not a fan of their monthly fees for access. Affinity Designer on the other hand is well rated and is a one time purchase (like Adobe used to be).

Definitely a fan of what Adobe offers, just not a fan of their monthly fees for access. Affinity Designer on the other hand is well rated and is a one time purchase (like Adobe used to be).

You were still paying $600 for it though.... ouch.

You were still paying $600 for it though.... ouch.

Right? I always did think they were way, way overpriced. I jumped in and started playing around with a couple different things today. We'll see what does what.

AAV FLOATPLANE.jpg

Always been an Adobe fan, probably because it's what I was trained in years ago. But I firmly disagree with subscription based software. I'm still running old versions of Photoshop, Illustrator and Pagemaker because I refuse to move to the subscription based versions.

That is a good looking Scout.

I have a Student/Educator version of Affinity Designer that I think I paid $50 for years ago and I keep getting the free upgrades through the Apple App Store on my Macbook, so I'm not complaining. I also have an educator subscriptrion for Adobe via my work email account. We received free Adobe for part of 2020 because of the Rona.

I keep both because I'm the "flyer guy" for my band, but that has slowed down this year. Ironic that I get free Illustrator right when I need it the least. When I do use them then I'm kind of 50/50 on which one I use. A lot of times I'll start a smaller vector illustration in Affinity and then finish the larger piece in Adobe. My avatar was done in Affinity.

Back
Top Bottom