HAM certification

I have two radios in Old Blue. A GMRS radio within my Rino and a CB Radio. Gonna switch to HAM when I get the time to get my license. I downloaded Zello since everyone I know has cell phones. The only problem I have is that where I like to wheel, there isn't any cell signal. I will give it a try though. I will have to con someone else into downloading it so we can give it a try.

My specific use-case would be two or more groups arriving at a similar location. A good example is this week at Overland Expo West. You could have 5 guys or 5 groups of guys converging on Flagstaff from different directions or leaving at different times. While in transit, folks could communicate and divert resources as needed if someone breaks down randomly somewhere. Google searches on an old iphone 4s (which I know some people still use) for torque specs on broken suspension components are a real pain in the a**, but a quick quip over Zello, or similar, could be really useful to someone in your group that kind of hoards that knowledge. It could even to be someone that stayed at home but wanted to be part of the team or could help do last minute Amazon shipments to your hotel or shop you're arriving at in Flagstaff.

How to utilize the communication, that's really up to you.

AT&T offers a Sonim XP8 with a dedicated PTT & SOS buttons. Verizon has the Kyocera Duraforce Pro with a dedicated PTT button. I've looked at them before mainly for their weather resistance.

For the emergency situations you mentioned Zello was optimal. Everyone pretty much has a cell phone and had the necessary equipment in hand already, there was infrastructure in place to support it, and access could be granted to people without special licensing requirements. Necessity favors network PTT as the solution.

Assuming that network PTT was your primary communication method you'd still need an alternate communication service in addition to it anyway because we like to go find places that generally does not get cell service or perhaps intermittent. That alternate communication service is now required. The network PTT becomes optional and the general trend would be to move away from this service as a primary method of communication. Necessity doesn't favour network PTT here.

Yeah, the Sonim XP8 is pretty cool esp for FirstNet, but most folks are going to stick it out w/ an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy because they look nicer. As a work/secondary phone, I'd definitely pick either an XP8 or a DuraForce. They're even great to use at conferences, conventions, or big expos w/o being overly obnoxious.

During Harvey, folks were using Zello at the Dispatch centers (mostly female or male nurses in their kitchens from across the country after their shift) to help coordinate with the Cajun Navy. The ad-hoc rescue groups had all sorts of radio equipment in addition to their phones (which were intermittent in flooded areas) from FRS, GMRS, Marine VHF, CB, Ham radios, and some first responders using their VHF, UHF, P25 or other Trunked systems working with the Zello groups. It was pretty crazy.

But yeah, I'd prefer to use Zello on a TM8 at home and through a handheld on the road or on location. I suppose something I could do in a Zello only situation is to create multiple groups for trash talking and not have to be wary of any eavesdropping. ;)

I'm trying to figure something out. If I accidentally transmit on 1.25m using a BD-35. What happens?

Nothing really, it'll make some funny sounds for anyone who receives on 220. It's an auto-sensing auto-switching linear amplifier with filters for 70cm and 2m. Anything outside of that range doesn't work very well. If you used an RM Italy linear amp (known to be super dirty because they don't have filters) it'll probably work just fine w/ 220.

Passed my Technician test today. Looking for radio now. Any suggestions? Looking at Kenwood THD74A. At its price, it will have to be my everything radio for a while.

Passed my Technician test today. Looking for radio now. Any suggestions? Looking at Kenwood THD74A. At its price, it will have to be my everything radio for a while.
Congratulations on passing the test. As for radios, I am personally a fan of the Yaesu Radios, for me, the menus are the easiest to navigate and the most intuitive to use, but you really can t go wrong with any of the big brands Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom. Something else to consider is grabbing a BaoFeng UV5r while they are still for sale. They are not the best radio around, they are not friendly to program, but they are less than $25 on Amazon with prime shipping. If you decide to grab one I would highly suggest spending the $5 to add a programming cable to it. https://amzn.to/2myO8dm . Once you play with it you can upgrade the radio and use it as something to just keep in the rig as a spare or to lend out if needed.

Last edited:
Congrats on passing your test, as for the radio it kinda depends on what you want/need... the HT is only 5watts, DSTAR is only one mode of digital comms, with DMR, &FUSION being the others.big ones .they are.not intercompatable with simplex, I've tried beaconing/tracking with APRS in the jeep with 5 watts, seems to work better with more power though.. I .was using an external antenna with my Kenwood v71a.
I have a YAESU ft60 HT it is just 2m/70cm but works great for local comms., and with an antenna on a mast even better. your results may vary.

Congratulations on passing the test. As for radios, I am personally a fan of the Yaesu Radios, for me, the menus are the easiest to navigate and the most intuitive to use, but you really can t go wrong with any of the big brands Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom. Something else to consider is grabbing a BaoFeng UV5r while they are still for sale. They are not the best radio around, they are not friendly to program, but they are less than $25 on Amazon with prime shipping. If you decide to grab one I would highly suggest spending the $5 to add a programming cable to it. https://amzn.to/2myO8dm . Once you play with it you can upgrade the radio and use it as something to just keep in the rig as a spare or to lend out if needed.

Thank you. That is a great suggestion. As luck would have it, I mentioned to a coworker that I had passed my test and he gave me a radio that he no longer had any use for. I believe I will start with this one as it was free, cut my teeth, and see what the future holds. I still want to mount a mobile in my truck and have the HT for everything else.

Congrats on passing your test, as for the radio it kinda depends on what you want/need... the HT is only 5watts, DSTAR is only one mode of digital comms, with DMR, &FUSION being the others.big ones .they are.not intercompatable with simplex, I've tried beaconing/tracking with APRS in the jeep with 5 watts, seems to work better with more power though.. I .was using an external antenna with my Kenwood v71a.
I have a YAESU ft60 HT it is just 2m/70cm but works great for local comms., and with an antenna on a mast even better. your results may vary.

Thanks. I really don't know what exactly I am looking for yet. I want a mobile for my truck and tracking is a big consideration. I need communication in the woods where there isnt any cell signal. I will test my new free one and see if I can reach out. I have to check for repeaters that I can reach, but so far haven't dove that deep yet. Still waiting on the FCC for my callsign. I plan to attend some of the HAM club meetings and get some help from them.

I'd get a Baofeng UV5R w/ a new antenna or a used IC T70A from Icom (in addition to the freebie for whomever you're with).

Check out WIN System. You can listen to them in most metropolitan areas. It's an international Net so you get folks all over the place chatting away. It's open, it's public, and it'll help you learn how to program your radio for use w/ repeaters.

For a mobile, you can always get one of the Chinese B-Tech models which are super cheap. As for when there isn't cell signal, depending on where you are, an InReach, Iridium phone, or other non-terrestrial-based (not earth bound .. aka satellite-based) comms device might be a better bet.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did look at the WIN System as you suggested. I am not within range of the repeater here in Florida. I had an ICOM radio in my boat and never had any problems with it, so I would not hesitate purchasing any of their equipment. I will have to go get lost soon and see if I can hit a repeater there with my HT. There are several in the area. I like the inreach idea as a backup when HAM and CB fail.

Another newly minted Hamster!

just passed my test on Sunday and have a Baofeng UV-82HP with an external magnetic antenna. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. Fortunately on of my clients is really into HAM and has agreed to show me the ropes...
Once I get more familiar I may upgrade depending on what my needs are...

Congratulations. I still haven't made any contacts with my HT. It is mounted in my truck with a rooftop antenna but it doesnt kick out enough wattage on transmit to hit anything here.

Back
Top Bottom