Study Suggests State of the World Has More Americans Considering a Jeep

The biggest hindrance to getting through our cozy eastern trails is not that your truck is too big, but that it's too shiny and the body panels are too straight. Once you fix those problems, these things you call obstacles become what we call pivot points.

There's not a straight body panel left on my old diesel F350, but I can get it almost anywhere I can get the CJ5. It just makes a lot more noise coming through the trees. And sometimes it does literally come through the trees . . .

The biggest hindrance to getting through our cozy eastern trails is not that your truck is too big, but that it's too shiny and the body panels are too straight. Once you fix those problems, these things you call obstacles become what we call pivot points.

There's not a straight body panel left on my old diesel F350, but I can get it almost anywhere I can get the CJ5. It just makes a lot more noise coming through the trees. And sometimes it does literally come through the trees . . .

But does it have a camper on its back, giving it the shape and maneuverability of a garbage truck?

;)

Before I forget, there was one more major issue that I disliked about being supersized.

Vehicle recovery. In a mired situation say, framerail deep, you need either a VERY good winch anchor point, or another vehicle of similar size and stature.

When your rig tips the scales at nearly 11,000 lbs, you can’t be over prepared for recovery. All of your recovery gear that works in a Jeep is woefully underrated for a HD truck with camper, so now you have the added expense of needing new gear and a 16.5 winch.

And chances are most other vehicles in your group, unless you roll with very prepared and equipped full size friends, are incapable of recovering you. Not enough weight, not enough winch, and incorrectly rated gear to pull you out.

And if you’re rolling alone, you’re going to end up calling for help.

Again, I’m not talking a gasser F350 with an empty bed. I’m talking diesel with a big camper on its back. Or one of them there Earthroamer glamping machines that look cool and comfy but have the off road mobility of a dump truck.

But that's the point in this segment - to go offroad.

Other than the Power Wagon (Raptor or Tremor, which is NOT a $50k truck last I checked) there is no full size competition in this genre that can touch a JT offroad.

Jeeps haven't been bare bones for many years now :tango

;)
I am only talking about a 2 door JL. I want one for what it is, a small runabout, I just won’t pay 50k for that.

I am only talking about a 2 door JL. I want one for what it is, a small runabout, I just won’t pay 50k for that.

You don’t have to pay $50,000 for a new two door JL Rubicon...

:D

F4484647-C343-41BD-998E-2A6738C86802.jpeg

Before I forget, there was one more major issue that I disliked about being supersized.

Vehicle recovery. In a mired situation say, framerail deep, you need either a VERY good winch anchor point, or another vehicle of similar size and stature.

When your rig tips the scales at nearly 11,000 lbs, you can’t be over prepared for recovery. All of your recovery gear that works in a Jeep is woefully underrated for a HD truck with camper, so now you have the added expense of needing new gear and a 16.5 winch.

And chances are most other vehicles in your group, unless you roll with very prepared and equipped full size friends, are incapable of recovering you. Not enough weight, not enough winch, and incorrectly rated gear to pull you out.

Again, I’m not talking a gasser F350 with an empty bed. I’m talking diesel with a big camper on its back. Or one of them there Earthroamer glamping machines that look cool and comfy but have the off road mobility of a dump truck.

All this gasser talk got me interested in the actual weight difference since "Barb the Bus", my F250, is gas powered.

2015 F250 4x4 Shortbed 6.2L gas curb weight = 6,547 lbs
2015 F250 4x4 Shortbed 6.7L diesel curb weight = 7,279 lbs

2020 Land Cruiser Curb Weight = 5,815 lbs
2020 Jeep Gladiator Curb Weight = 4,676 lbs
2020 Jeep Rubicon 4dr Curb Weight = 4,449 lbs
2020 4Runner Curb Weight = 4,805 lbs
2020 Tacoma Curb Weight = 4,480 lbs
2020 Ranger Curb Weight = 4,441 lbs
Jeep XJ curb weight = 3,357 lbs
A random 1985 CJ7 I found on the internet curb weight = 3,340

That's a ton of difference. (See what I did there?)

F250's can carry a lot more recovery gear though...

1585684979086.png

Wow. I was shopping hard 2 months ago but never saw 37k for a hard top rubicon automatic. Every rubicon that was on a actual lot was 50k plus. Probably my next vehicle...

My rig comes in at just over 10k so its not much lighter than yours was. And yes, I agree, recovery of these rigs is not for the faint of heart, but doable.

Wow. I was shopping hard 2 months ago but never saw 37k for a hard top rubicon automatic. Every rubicon that was on a actual lot was 50k plus. Probably my next vehicle...

Use True Car dot com for pricing - never pay MSRP and try to get it under invoice. Deals like that happen all the time, and car dealerships hate me because I cut straight to the chase. You should too.

Go through the internet sales Dept ONLY and never set foot on the lot until you like the internet quote.

;)

JEEP is not my thing JMO

I was that guy. First Chevy and then Toyota once I grew up ;)

But Jeep got better. A lot better over the years. Some talk crap about Fiat. I will tell anyone who will listen that Fiat was the best thing to ever happen to Jeep, and their quality and overall fit and finish went way up as a result of FCA.

But they’re no more perfect than a Toyota or a Ford. Or a Land Rover. Each brand has its eccentric quirks and goofy engineering foibles.

Not a fan boy, but I’m certainly a fan where once I was a hardcore critic of Jeep. I’m glad to see the made in USA stuff thriving. Ford, Jeep, Ram, Chevy, quality and reliability across the entire automotive spectrum has never been higher. Competition has made everybody better.

:independence

I was that guy. First Chevy and then Toyota once I grew up ;)

But Jeep got better. A lot better over the years. Some talk crap about Fiat. I will tell anyone who will listen that Fiat was the best thing to ever happen to Jeep, and their quality and overall fit and finish went way up as a result of FCA.

But they’re no more perfect than a Toyota or a Ford. Or a Land Rover. Each brand has its eccentric quirks and goofy engineering foibles.

Not a fan boy, but I’m certainly a fan where once I was a hardcore critic of Jeep. I’m glad to see the made in USA stuff thriving. Ford, Jeep, Ram, Chevy, quality and reliability across the entire automotive spectrum has never been higher. Competition has made everybody better.

:independence

At least we can all agree that Honda Ridgelines are garbage. :D

I've been looking to move into a new vehicle. A 4-door Rubicon is high on the list. My only concern is the nearly complete lack of payload capacity. I guess its OK so long as I have no friends to ride with me though :D

I've been looking to move into a new vehicle. A 4-door Rubicon is high on the list. My only concern is the nearly complete lack of payload capacity. I guess its OK so long as I have no friends to ride with me though :D

I think the key is to be careful and modify it “lightly”, only adding what’s really useful or needed. The bloated, bolt on mania I see on some builds is mind boggling.

My JL was complete when I sold it. I would not have added one more thing, but after winch, sliders, roof rack, awning and fridge I was pretty much at GVWR with the 3 of us and our gear onboard. Handled it just fine.

Back
Top Bottom