2015 Subaru Outback: American Adventure Rig

Any specifics why you prefer the Outback over the Forester? It looks like the Forester has a bit more room....not positive about clearance, drivetrain, etc.

it doesn't. the outback is bigger in every way. a better ride, better tech, more refined interior, quieter, same ground cleareance

I went to the dealer to buy a fozzy, got an outback. The fozzy rides like a truck, and you have to have leather to get Xmode. I didn't want leather

it doesn't. the outback is bigger in every way. a better ride, better tech, more refined interior, quieter, same ground cleareance

I went to the dealer to buy a fozzy, got an outback. The fozzy rides like a truck, and you have to have leather to get Xmode. I didn't want leather

Better tech?

Sigh. I'm still using my '94 Suzuki Sidekick for my ORVing. Lifts and larger tires makes it pretty darned good.

Well, more tech does not always mean better. The Outback is a higher trim level than the Forester, so obviously it receives the options sooner. It is like comparing the Fiesta with the Taurus. WHich one is cooshier?

Is the Forester still technically considered a truck? I know on the older ones (2008 on down) auto parts stores often have a tough time finding it because the Foz is listed all by itself under "Subaru Trucks," instead of Subaru where everything else is.

I drove both recently—loved the Outback, hated the Forester. My impression was the Outback became what the Forester should have been, and the Forester kind of went downhill after the SG series (2003-2008). The new ones remind me of a Ford Escape, no doubt due to attempts to fill the small SUV space left vacant with the loss of the Tribeca.

Is the Forester still technically considered a truck? I know on the older ones (2008 on down) auto parts stores often have a tough time finding it because the Foz is listed all by itself under "Subaru Trucks," instead of Subaru where everything else is.

I drove both recently—loved the Outback, hated the Forester. My impression was the Outback became what the Forester should have been, and the Forester kind of went downhill after the SG series (2003-2008). The new ones remind me of a Ford Escape, no doubt due to attempts to fill the small SUV space left vacant with the loss of the Tribeca.

Not sure if the Forester lists as a truck, kind of an odd concept since in reality the Outback and Forester are so similar suspension and running gear wise.

So we've been having torrential rains here in California so I took the Outback out for a sightseeing trip today. Man, the AWD on this thing really shines on wet pavement and the higher ground clearance is nice when rivers run through the streets. Very impressed with the car in foul weather.

Another thing I'm really digging is cargo capacity - kayaks on the roof are no problem and it actually has tie down points strategically located under the car for straps.

image.jpg

The rear seats fold down in about 1 second and the rear cargo area accepts my XL frame 29'er MTB no problem.

image.jpg

We have a '14 Legacy with the same motor/trans combo. The thing is a blast to drive, point and squirt. Throttle response is ridiculous, power is immediate. The thing drives way more powerful than it truly is. Wet weather, ice storms, 6 inches of snow, it has stupid traction--you think you're going to upset it and it laughs, giggles even. All this while pulling 27-28 mpg in 50-50 hwy/city driving. Single tank best of 37 mpg all highway.

Clearly the Legacy doesn't have the clearance and has way more fascia and overhang than the Outback, but we love it. I'll definitely consider an Outback when my Jeep is paid off and hits full time toy status.

I had a 2005 Forester XT untill i traded it in for 2011 Taco. Miss that FXT with Turbo, but i needed a truck with a bed. Still miss my Subaru.. Great thread...

Back
Top Bottom