Quality Folder

@jscusmcvet I haven't really seen in what capacity you are planning to use this in. Living in the sticks like we do I think yours and mine idea of what a bushcraft knife should be capable of might be different than others. So are you looking for an all purpose Chopper/skinner or more of a chore blade? You know like shaping stakes for trap lines, clearing shooting lanes, chopping the head of turtles kind of steel. The task at hand plays a huge role in the shape (tip/belly/draw) of the blade and the thickness of the spine. I personally do not like folders for the tasks above but like a solid tang straight knife with a thick spine and slightly arched belly profile. Also I like a hammer pommel on a woods knife.
All valid points. Unfortunately for me I still work in the so called "civilized" world, so while I would like to carry either of my two favorite camp knives, that would be an instant ticket for departure :)
So what I am looking for is a quality folder that can serve many of the duties of a bushcrafting solid blade, but also be carried discretely in a pocket, with just the clip showing.

It seems rare that these threads ever offer more than confusion, given the hundreds of possibilities, each of which will have a fan to assure you it's the right choice. But here goes: I've tested and reviewed a lot of knives over the past couple of decades. I carry a Chris Reeve Sebenza, which I feel is the best folder on the market but is well out of your price range (that $12 Chinese thing is a nightmarish "copy" of it). On the other hand, I also have a Buck Vantage Pro that cost less than $50. It's made in the U.S., has an excellent S30V blade and G10 scales, and a very solid lockup (although nothing matches the Sebenza). I'm impressed every time I use it, and haven't found anything better within a hundred dollars of the price. Worth considering.

Kershaw fan here! I don't consider them a throw away knife at all. I've had several, and usually end up giving them to friends. They have pretty much any blade profile you could want. I'll never own another folder that isn't an assisted opening model. It's way too handy.

Kershaw fan here! I don't consider them a throw away knife at all. I've had several, and usually end up giving them to friends. They have pretty much any blade profile you could want. I'll never own another folder that isn't an assisted opening model. It's way too handy.
I have a great little Kershaw that I carry from time to time. Very utilitarian, but a bit too small. I am leaning hard towards another CRKT.

It seems rare that these threads ever offer more than confusion, given the hundreds of possibilities, each of which will have a fan to assure you it's the right choice. But here goes: I've tested and reviewed a lot of knives over the past couple of decades. I carry a Chris Reeve Sebenza, which I feel is the best folder on the market but is well out of your price range (that $12 Chinese thing is a nightmarish "copy" of it). On the other hand, I also have a Buck Vantage Pro that cost less than $50. It's made in the U.S., has an excellent S30V blade and G10 scales, and a very solid lockup (although nothing matches the Sebenza). I'm impressed every time I use it, and haven't found anything better within a hundred dollars of the price. Worth considering.
I see your point on the confusion. For me it is a way to consider possibilities (even ones outside my price point) and hear from folks who have actually used them. I actually like Buck knives and have one from 20+ years ago given to me as a gift. For EDC I need the ability to pocket carry with a clip, rather than a belt holster. So this Buck rides in a molle bag on the back of my seat. Good solid basic knife...

Ive got 2 of the sanrenmu knives on the way from amazon. For $13 each I had to buy a couple. We will see how they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Got my two sanrenmu knives today.. I have to say, for $13 shipped on amazon, upon first glance this appears to be a decent quality folder for the price. Being that I am hard on knives, the cheaper the better for me.. I will have to do a full blown review once I get some time with it.

809c2e5059b1a95aef2ebe46d6c7abf4.jpg

47de469469646933da77093a744a9f94.jpg

fab2337c38aadcfdc9747cb33e924391.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

By sheer chance... at an event I attended tonight I met one of the founders of Spartan Blades... Extremely nice guy, great story, 4 years in the USMC and then finished a career in Army SF. After a few years of contracting he and his buddy started Spartan and built it into the well regarded company it is today. Has me rethinking their blades... hard to swallow $285 though. Perhaps Ann needs to "stumble" upon this thread and buy me a present

Interesting discussion and several valid points.

I think most people fall into two different camps, those that want an heirloom piece and those who realize that their knife may be a disposable item.

I fall into the latter camp as I am pretty hard on my folder which I carry everyday regardless of where I'm going or what I'm wearing. Like most of us we've been through several knives in search of what works best for us.

A couple of years ago I picked up this Kershaw:
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS...er-plain-blade-rick-hinderer-framelock-design
and have beeen very happy with it. This blade is less than 3" long and that was a conscious decision on my part as many places (on the East Coast in particular) restrict blade length.

I have a fixed blade full tang knife that I keep in my truck for heavier chores.

Back
Top Bottom