My Bikes

2WX (Two-Wheeled Explorer) here, and yes I do a bit of bicycling. My wife's philosophy is that the perfect number of bikes is 1. My own is that the perfect number of bikes is also 1...1 more!

In compromise, my stable is currently limited to 3; A 2012 Volcanic custom-built 29er; a 2006 Bianchi Volpe touring bike with gravel (35mm) tires and a 2014 Surly Pugsley.

Attachments

• 2bikes.jpg
    2bikes.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 62
  • PugsLoaded.jpg
    PugsLoaded.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 69
New addition to the stable or quiver or garage. Pugsley went to a friend and Santa brought me a brand new Cogburn Outdoors CB4 in Realtree Snow camo. Great bike!
(Of course, you can't see it because of the camo, right?")

Attachments

• CB41.jpg
    CB41.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I believe in the N +1 theory of bikes. The prefect number of bikes is the current stable (N) +1 more.
allez.jpg

I just stripped this 2010ish Specialized Allez because it never seemed "to fit" me.

5500.jpg

This 1998ish Trek 5500 OCLV replaced it as my main road bike.

cx.jpg

This is my cyclocross bike. Salsa Las Cruces disk.

KM.jpg

This is my primary mountain bike, Surley Karate Monkey

930.jpg

I just put this back together, my first mountain bike, a 1995ish Trek 930

Two bikes I didn't have pictures of.
My triathlon bike: a 1998 Trek 5000 OCLV that has raced 9 Ironman triathlons, 2 dozen halfs, and over a hundred sprint and Olympic distance tris.
My broke frame Salsa Dos Niner that couldn't be welded, so I came up with a fix that allows it to be a pit bike in cyclocross and the windtrainer bike.

What I want next?
I lighter mtn bike for racing or a track bike so I can race on the velodrome.

Attachments

• 5500.jpg
    5500.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68
I believe in the N +1 theory of bikes. The prefect number of bikes is the current stable (N) +1 more.

Well, I did just sell a bike but bought two more a few days later. Waiting on our Bike Friday folding bikes to be built. We ordered two bikes with Gates belt drive and NuVinci CVT, no grease, no maintenance, folds small enough to fit in a suitcase. Now we have to wait six weeks for delivery, tap, tap, tap...

Well, I did just sell a bike but bought two more a few days later. Waiting on our Bike Friday folding bikes to be built. We ordered two bikes with Gates belt drive and NuVinci CVT, no grease, no maintenance, folds small enough to fit in a suitcase. Now we have to wait six weeks for delivery, tap, tap, tap...

Sounds crazy cool - :pics

Sounds crazy cool - :pics

They're custom ordered so you'll have to wait about six weeks for actual photos but here are two demo videos. Their bikes are sized to feel and ride and shift just like full size road bikes. We went with a models that are more versatile than their road models. We test road 5-6 at Kirk's Bikes in Ramona and fell in love with them. They were so much fun to ride and will fold nicely to fit in the rear seat area of our Dodge. The Nuvinci drive winds down to a lower gear than my current carbon fiber road bike so hills won't be a problem. The top gear isn't quite as high but it should hit 25 mph under pedal power which is plenty for that wheelbase.

[video=youtube;K3MyWhA6Si8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3MyWhA6Si8&app=desktop[/video]

[video=youtube;96x_0XskKCU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96x_0XskKCU&app=desktop[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
New addition to the stable or quiver or garage. Pugsley went to a friend and Santa brought me a brand new Cogburn Outdoors CB4 in Realtree Snow camo. Great bike!

Some changes to the Cogburn: Swapped the rear rack for Blackburn's new Outpost Fat-Bike expedition rack. Also got two Outpost front fork racks I will install in spring. Just ordered a Wanderlust Gear handlebar bag. Thinking of upgrading my MSR iso-butane stove for an MSR mult-fuel model. Any thoughts?

Ride safe,
2WX

Last edited:
They're custom ordered so you'll have to wait about six weeks

One year when I went to check my bike into Ironman USA (Lake Placid) their was a guy racking a Bike Friday as a tri bike.... once your bike was in the transition, it stayed, so that is what he raced a 112 miles on.... I never saw him on the course, but always wondered what he looked like in an aerobar, it had small wheels!

Seems like a great idea if you travel by air or need the space. I have another friend who did the S&S couplers to a Litespeed frame.

Just built up a new xc/all mountain rig:

Details of Build:

Frame
: Evil The Following Medium in Black
Fork: 140mm RockShox PikeRCT3 51mm offset (Running 140 will match the slackness of my current remedy, so I want to try it out, Evil said it’s not a problem)
Seat Post: LEV – Integra 125 (I prefer mechanical over hydraulic)
Wheelset: Roval Traverse SL 29 Carbon
Hub: DT Swiss XD
Stem: Race Face Atlas 50mm
Bar: Enve Riser Bar 31.8x740mm
Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail M9020
Rotors: Shimano XTR 180mm Front/160mm Rear
Crank: Sram XX1 175mm 168 Q Factor with 30T Wolftooth Chainring
Cassette: Sram X01 10-42
Rear Derailure: Sram X0 Type 2 Long
Shifter: Sram X01 Trigger
Chain: Sram XX1
Tires: Butcher Control Front / Purgatory Rear
Pedals: Black mallets 2

She was the first one of her kind (this is a new frame for 2015) built for private use (earlier version was just for Bible of bike mag review), so I went out on a limb with her, but WOW, am I glad I did. She is amazing, basically blows my Remedy 9 out of the water in every way, also climbs better than my hardail. By far the most fun bike I have ever owned. Weighs in at 27 lbs 4 oz, but has the strength to handle 6ft drops I've thrown at her.

Damn, that's a nice bike Robert. What did it set you back?

One year when I went to check my bike into Ironman USA (Lake Placid) their was a guy racking a Bike Friday as a tri bike.... once your bike was in the transition, it stayed, so that is what he raced a 112 miles on.... I never saw him on the course, but always wondered what he looked like in an aerobar, it had small wheels!

Seems like a great idea if you travel by air or need the space. I have another friend who did the S&S couplers to a Litespeed frame.

They actually make pretty good road bikes and fit just like road bikes. If you measure your favorite road bike, they can match the size exactly. Their top of the line road bike weighs 15.2 pounds and costs $7695. They are comparable with similarly priced road bikes as far as speed, according to one of their engineers who has raced professionally and tested them via time trials. I'm not sur about the numbers compared to a full aero tri bike though.

We finally got the bikes and have been in a few rides. They're a lot of fun and super convenient. The Gates carbon drive and NuVinci CVT hub are amazingly quiet.

BFoffice.jpg
[/URL]
parked at the office

BFtrunk.jpg
[/URL]
stored in the trunk

BFdriveway.jpg
[/URL]
waiting to ride

Attachments

• BF driveway.jpg
    BF driveway.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 52
  • BF office.jpg
    BF office.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 56
  • BF trunk.jpg
    BF trunk.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 54

Took advantage of the first really nice day this spring to change over my Cogburn CB4 from winter mode (See previous post.) to Expedition ready. Additions are as follows: Blackburn Outpost Cargo rear rack and fork cages; Cogburn frame pack; bottle cage to underside of downtube for fuel bottle; Wanderlust Designs handlebar pack set; Garmin eTrex 20 GPS (in lieu of cyclometer); Jandd Mountain panniers. Still tweaking to set-up some. Will take a couple of shake-down trips to figure out what works, what doesn't, and what could be better with something else in it's place. Tent is a Kelty Gunnison 2, and the Thermarest is the "Luxury" model.

Big trip will be in August, across the western Adirondack Mountains from Thendara to Big Moose by train, then bike from there to the summer camp I went to as a kid, on Rondaxe Rd. (The old Durant rail line) to Inlet, down past Limekiln Lake to the Moose River Plains, then east to Indian Lake ("is a place you can make with your little one...")

Oh yeah, we gonna have some fun!
Hans

Attachments

• Cogburn15.jpg
    Cogburn15.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 43
Very nice! I know some of that route... sounds epic!

Took advantage of the first really nice day this spring to change over my Cogburn CB4 from winter mode (See previous post.) to Expedition ready. Additions are as follows: Blackburn Outpost Cargo rear rack and fork cages; Cogburn frame pack; bottle cage to underside of downtube for fuel bottle; Wanderlust Designs handlebar pack set; Garmin eTrex 20 GPS (in lieu of cyclometer); Jandd Mountain panniers. Still tweaking to set-up some. Will take a couple of shake-down trips to figure out what works, what doesn't, and what could be better with something else in it's place. Tent is a Kelty Gunnison 2, and the Thermarest is the "Luxury" model.

Big trip will be in August, across the western Adirondack Mountains from Thendara to Big Moose by train, then bike from there to the summer camp I went to as a kid, on Rondaxe Rd. (The old Durant rail line) to Inlet, down past Limekiln Lake to the Moose River Plains, then east to Indian Lake ("is a place you can make with your little one...")

Oh yeah, we gonna have some fun!
Hans

Back
Top Bottom