2014 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hardhat has cancelled, Jon Nelson is now in spot #102 :)

We're getting extremely busy now that we are in the home stretch for this event AND the Appalachian Rendezvous and I need to focus my attentions elsewhere - I have closed the wait list i.e. I am not managing any more additions we will just fill slots from the existing wait list as of 9/8/2014. Once that list is depleted I may open it up if there is a need.

:blacksmith

Last edited:
I had one of those! Make sure you have the right, or pretty close at least, jets for the carb. They will run funky at higher elevations.

It's at the dealer now getting a full workup so it should be perfect for next weekend. :moto

I'll be on a new-to-me 2002 WR426f so won't be going too fast...yet .

Congrats on the new purchase! I'll be riding my 2012 WR450F. My wife, Dlichterman, and Seraph are on DRZ400s and optikal's riding a 2008ish Husky TE510. Right now I'm just contemplating where to ride (Radford and Clark's Grade are both pretty tempting as a way to get to/from Holcolmb Valley), there's a good chance we'll join you again if you're game.

I'm down to ride with anyone who brings a moto. I do kinda want to do something different, so maybe skip 2N02 and Pioneertown and opt for Clark's Grade to Holcomb to lunch in Big Bear or back at camp. I'm trying to be budget conscious so I'll either pack a sandwich or extra snacks. Hard to turn down a fresh burrito and cold Coke after lots of riding though :p

I'd be happy to pick up your burrito and coke in return for your expert guide services! My impression from July of this year (last time I rode this route) was that Clark's Grade was easier headed east (downhill) and Radford was easier west (uphill), that said both are noob friendly in both directions and still a whole lot of fun.

If we get set up early enough on Friday we might head down to Pioneertown for a late lunch.

I'd be happy to pick up your burrito and coke in return for your expert guide services! My impression from July of this year (last time I rode this route) was that Clark's Grade was easier headed east (downhill) and Radford was easier west (uphill), that said both are noob friendly in both directions and still a whole lot of fun.

If we get set up early enough on Friday we might head down to Pioneertown for a late lunch.

I just ran Clarks grade 2 weeks ago, pulling the teardrop, it is in great shape, just a fire road with switchbacks and nice views. As for burritos, you will want to hit up La Paws Inn south east corner of Big Bear Blvd and Division

I'd be happy to pick up your burrito and coke in return for your expert guide services!

haha I didn't mean for anyone to buy it, I meant I'd probably get a burrito anyways if we stopped for one - way more delicious than a crushed tuna sandwich haha. As for "expert" guide services - I get lost. All the time. One time, it took me 3 minutes and we were fully lost but we all had tons of fun! I've never ridden Holcomb routes (just the fire roads for a scenic tour) but everything I've done on moto or truck has been beautiful. I'll try to research some single track to find!

haha I didn't mean for anyone to buy it, I meant I'd probably get a burrito anyways if we stopped for one - way more delicious than a crushed tuna sandwich haha. As for "expert" guide services - I get lost. All the time. One time, it took me 3 minutes and we were fully lost but we all had tons of fun! I've never ridden Holcomb routes (just the fire roads for a scenic tour) but everything I've done on moto or truck has been beautiful. I'll try to research some single track to find!
Garret, email me, I will help you with the routes

76. kens ----- Things came up and we won't be able to go. Please give my spot to someone. Have fun everyone!!!

I volunteered to help with a fundraiser and it turns out to be the weekend of this trip, so I am going to have to cancel and make room for one of the waiting list folks.

Sorry.

Gary

INTEL UPDATE 9/11/2014

Just so everyone is aware, there are a few more rigs coming this year. What does that mean to you? That means that the camp could get a bit crowded. PLEASE NOTE THE OVERFLOW AREAS ON THE MAP - IF YOU WANT ELBOW ROOM, OR PEACE AND QUIET, THAT IS THE PLACE TO BE. THE "UPPER CAMP" AREA BY THE GATE IS HISTORICALLY UNDERUTILIZED AS ARE THE OVERFLOW AREAS NEAR IT. UPPER CAMP HAS A BATHROOM TOO AND ALL ARE A SHORT WALK FROM GROUND ZERO AT THE MAIN FIRE PIT :)

MountainRendezvous-Copy.jpg

Also, here is a reminder of the event schedule. Please make note that the swap meet is looseley organized i.e. no hard set time or place so please handle these details on your own. Same goes for trail runs and other activities. Additionally, please note the timeline on Saturday - this is our big day so make sure you don't miss out on the free pancake breakfast, T-shirt distribution and group photo.

*If you are competing in the Dutch Oven competetion I strongly recommend that you be in camp and cooking by 3 PM to ensure that we are all eating at 5 PM. Raffle will be at 6 PM after we eat and judge the contest.

*IF YOU ARE ARRIVING AFTER DARK, FOR SAFETY'S SAKE PLEASE BE SAFE. THERE WILL BE GROUND TENTS, KIDS, DOGS, GEAR ETC SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND CONSIDERATE WHEN MOVING VEHICLES IN CAMP - RUDELY JOCKEYING FOR POSITION LATE AT NIGHT WITH YOUR MUSIC THUMPING, BRIGHT LIGHTS AND A LOUD EXHAUST MAY CAUSE THE NATIVES TO BECOME RESTLESS...

EVENT SCHEDULE:

FRI:

1200 Arrivals. Check in will be by the main fire pit (see map).
1700 Happy Hour and MRV Swap Meet followed by campfire

SAT:
0800 Pancake and Bacon Breakfast presented by Mojoe Outfitters and American Adventurist
0900 Trail Runs! Hiking! Mountain Biking! Whatever!
1200 Lunch
1300 Trail Runs! Hiking! Mountain Biking! Nap time!
1530 MRV T-shirt distribution at main fire pit. Have your shirt ticket in hand, sizes are first come first serve!
1630 Group Photo by Brent Haywood Photography
1700 Potluck/Dutch Oven Competition (Remember the 2014 Desert Rendezvous?)
1800 MRV Raffle followed by relaxation

SUN:
0900 Trail Runs! Hiking! Mountain Biking! Whatever!
1200 Camp inspected and cleared. Zero residuals.

**Fire Restrictions This Year!**
1. No Campfires. (Campfire in a Can is OK i.e. propane)
2. Dutch Ovens/coaling are a go - ONLY at main fire ring just like last year
3. Mojoe is a go for Saturday morning pancake breakfast at main fire ring.
4. NO CHARCOAL at any of the outer areas/fire rings. ONLY at the main fire ring.
5. Propane BBQ's/stoves/devices are OK.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, WE ARE A TREAD LIGHTLY ALLIANCE MEMBER ORGANIZATION. WE WILL ADHERE TO THOSE PRINCIPLES AT ALL TIMES, AND THERE WILL BE NO DRINKING AND DRIVING ON OR OFF ROAD - ZERO TOLERANCE.

IF I SEE IT OR HEAR ABOUT IT, YOU WILL HEAR ABOUT IT. 'NUFF SAID.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted up an easy trail run, I am limiting it to 10 rigs, so hopefully some other people will will post up some runs as well

http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/showthread.php?1795-MRV-easy-scenic-trail-run&p=26161#post26161

Alright, this trip is now full. If anyone backs out I will update the list, and you can feel free to check with me at MRV for any last minute spots. If anybody would like to lead another run, I would be more then happy to help you plan a route.

If anybody would like to lead another run, I would be more then happy to help you plan a route.

Depending how check-in goes on Saturday, and when I think I need to be back in camp to help with the DO Comp, I may take a quick drive near camp. I'll be looking for the by-pass route we had to take to get around the fuel splill a few years back. Just a well graded dirt road with pretty trees, but I have to get my tires dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom