Well, after about 3 years after having pulled the factory stereo out of the Cruiser, replacing the speakers, and buying the new stereo to power it all... I finally finished the work this week. :lol With the short distances I've been driving around town and spending much of the year in hibernation, finishing up the stereo was not on my short list of to-do's. But, I've caught up a bit here and found the time to finish up the wiring, so...

Ta-da:

20190616_184007.jpg

What?!? Yeah sure... doesn't look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

My goal here was to remove the antiquated factory AM/FM/Cassette stereo, and replace with... well nothing. I wanted simple, uncluttered, and stealth. The new stereo is actually a mini Bluetooth 4-channel amplifier. I was able to wire it up and maneuver it into place behind the blanked out radio din and pocket as seen here:

20190618_133754.jpg

Simple as that. No need for more modern looking designs

It's switched to ACC power and automatically pairs with my phone. The phone then auto-launches the Android Auto app and I either stream my music or play what I have saved directly on it. Volume is controlled at the phone which is fine since my current phone has physical volume buttons on the side. We will see if future phones cause any problems for me. I also added an equalizer app to the phone since that is not a feature built into the amplifier. In the future, I will be adding a concealed aux input as well for use with my old iPod.

Last edited:
I love how some tech is becoming more integrated and less visible like this.

Agreed. I hadn't fully wrapped my head around it until the work was done... This simple upgrade gave the Cruiser the same level of connectivity that I'm enjoying with Android Auto in the Xterra without a single visible component. I just use a magnetic Ram mount on the dash with my phone instead. If I don't want to bother with that, I have the cell phone pocket in the 3D printed cupholder I added.

20190620_103546.jpg

Agreed. I hadn't fully wrapped my head around it until the work was done... This simple upgrade gave the Cruiser the same level of connectivity that I'm enjoying with Android Auto in the Xterra without a single visible component. I just use a magnetic Ram mount on the dash with my phone instead. If I don't want to bother with that, I have the cell phone pocket in the 3D printed cupholder I added.

View attachment 45808

Love that too, very functional

Love that too, very functional

An I8HMUD member (BH3D) came up with it a few years back... a brilliant solution. It turned the unusable (very shallow depth) square cupholders into a perfect Hydroflask mug holder. I was so frustrated about not having a safe spot to set my coffee down that I probably would've paid double for it.

Edit: Now sold by Odd Iron Offroad

Last edited:
For anyone reading that may be building an older imported 70 series:

Another silly, but welcome addition was done last week in the form of a horn upgrade. It's not something that I normally would seek to upgrade, but in the case of the Cruiser, to honk at someone was... well, embarrassing. The tone of it is exactly what you would expect out of a Japanese compact economy car <meep-meep!> , but not out of an old Land Cruiser. I think it did a better job of causing confusion about who actually honked than it ever did to command attention.

This what I went with:
Hella 940800821 Black 24v

Install is plug and play in the OEM location with the factory wiring. 5 min job, tops. Only thing necessary will be to bend the included Hella mounts back a little (can be done by hand or with some pliers) to aid in clearing the grill. I found it easier to remove the grill to get them in place as well, though it might not be needed. The Amazon listing has a video clip of the tone. IMO it's much more fitting to the vehicle type and $16 well spent.

20190620_113101.jpg

About 3 years back now, I bought a snorkel for the Cruiser and then sat on that project until this week. There's a long story behind the delay... as I began writing the story out (including flying out to Australia for an Airbox) , I realized that it's probably better to be shared around a campfire if you are really that interested. So, lets just leave it to pictures:

The factory airbox for non-snorkel equipped 77's (which is all of them BTW, no 77 series came with them):

DSC_0594 (resized).jpg

Original airbox (left), donor airbox (right):

DSC_0734 (resized).jpg

Donor Land Cruiser:

HZJ75 Airbox.jpg

Factory plumbing. Note: the grey panel covering the hole for the OEM snorkel plumbing:

DSC_0735 (resized).jpg

Donor airbox installed:

DSC_0739 (resized).jpg

Knock-off of the OEM snorkel (one piece construction rather than the OEM that needs to be sealed and monitored):

DSC_0737 (resized).jpg

No worries about construction quality/durability:

DSC_0733 (resized).jpg

Marking up for drilling and cutting:

8322.jpg

Cut and drilled (Pro tip: a little Japanese whiskey takes the edge off):

8328.jpg

Custom bracket so I did not have to drill my "A" pillar:

20190626_152825.jpg

20190626_152919.jpg

Installed:

20190625_214401.jpg

Special Thanks to @Dave for redirecting this snorkel to me while I was still in Japan. This snorkel was able to brave the Pacific Ocean journey twice by sea, and once by air.

Last edited:
Dōitashimashite! :clang

Looks great Mark. Your attention to detail and passion for Land Cruisers motivates me.

Thanks, Dave. That's a high compliment from a meticulous guy like yourself.

What's going on brother. Really don't know how I stumbled upon this forum, but here's what you need to know;

1. You and I have cleaner-than-sin White ZXs
2. We're tunnel buddies in terms of "Where we've lived" i.e. I instantly knew where when I saw the photo in front of the turnstile.

Not trying to be too cryptic, but I would be extremely grateful to hear the challenges/successes you experienced out here with making ole girl better. I've had my 95 HZJ77 ZX for over nine months now and to be completely honest, I fall more and more in love with her everyday. Now don't blow me off cuz she's an auto, but she's in absolutely great shape for 270+ Kilos and the price I paid. Leaving soon and I CANNOT be more excited to bring her back stateside. Looks like it's been awhile since the last post on this forum, but I'm optimistic to hear from you soon. Really trying to tighten up the kinks before I'm really far away and have to order parts from Down-Unda

What's going on brother. Really don't know how I stumbled upon this forum, but here's what you need to know;

1. You and I have cleaner-than-sin White ZXs
2. We're tunnel buddies in terms of "Where we've lived" i.e. I instantly knew where when I saw the photo in front of the turnstile.

Not trying to be too cryptic, but I would be extremely grateful to hear the challenges/successes you experienced out here with making ole girl better. I've had my 95 HZJ77 ZX for over nine months now and to be completely honest, I fall more and more in love with her everyday. Now don't blow me off cuz she's an auto, but she's in absolutely great shape for 270+ Kilos and the price I paid. Leaving soon and I CANNOT be more excited to bring her back stateside. Looks like it's been awhile since the last post on this forum, but I'm optimistic to hear from you soon. Really trying to tighten up the kinks before I'm really far away and have to order parts from Down-Unda

Glad you found this and spoke up. I haven't had much to post for a long while, but swing in regularly and check what's going on. Without a doubt, getting what you might need to prepare for being away from Japan can be an issue in Iwakuni. Had some success buying parts directly from a Toyota parts distributor on the west side of town (near the Iwakuni Shinkansen station), but you might need some decent Japanese to communicate... or Jim Ford (if he's still around there). Honestly, I wouldn't fret too much about stocking up on parts though. The big names in Cruiser parts here in the States, can get you about anything you are after. And, often they can do it quicker than you could there in Japan. You might want to search for the "70 Series Land Cruisers - North America" FB group and join... an instant network of owners and enthusiasts to connect with, as well as some great Cruiser business owners. Feel free to look me up on that group and connect if it would be easier to ask me questions via messenger.

Hahaha Jim is definitely still alive and well here. Had a buddy borrow my truck while I was away, left the lights on, drained both batteries beyond repair. Jim hooked it up.

Currently working with the Aussies to get an exhaust shipped to me before I leave. Really interested on where you got your roof rack and snorkel (forgive me, I haven't gone through previous posts if already answered). Those are my top three mods I want to knock before I head back this summer.

That's great news though. I would've never thought to have looked on FB for 70 Series bros.
FC7C12E5-6F3C-4527-8AF0-E999B5B38425_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Hahaha Jim is definitely still alive and well here. Had a buddy borrow my truck while I was away, left the lights on, drained both batteries beyond repair. Jim hooked it up.

Currently working with the Aussies to get an exhaust shipped to me before I leave. Really interested on where you got your roof rack and snorkel (forgive me, I haven't gone through previous posts if already answered). Those are my top three mods I want to knock before I head back this summer.

That's great news though. I would've never thought to have looked on FB for 70 Series bros.View attachment 54707

I got my snorkel off Ebay, although I don't see them available currently. It is a knock off of the factory snorkel, but the only way to keep the OEM look without Toyota's flawed two piece construction. I would highly recommend you look back at my snorkel post before tackling the job... there's quite a bit more work involved in executing this compared with commercially available snorkels (i.e. Safari Snorkel.) Additionally, you're gonna need a different airbox. I wish you luck in locating one that someone is willing to ship. Also, there are no templates out there for the drilling and cutting.

The roof rack was purchased through 4runnermods.com, and was imported from T.M.T. in Venezuela. After I received it 4runnermods expressed to me that T.M.T. was no longer interested in exporting them to the U.S. ...Apparently, it is the first and last of its kind in the U.S. It's possible, of course, that situation may have changed, so ask them. Either way, I would recommend you wait until you are back in the U.S. before getting that one. the crate is quite large and hefty. I doubt that an FBO-AP address can even accept it.

Back
Top Bottom