Air Compressor Options?

My old 84 Toyota had a Therrold industries motor mounted compressor, ran great best compressor I ever had. He was from Holt's Vill in Ca.

I’m running the ARB dual hard mounted under the hood on a Slee mount. It airs up my 38s from 15 to 32PSI fast as hell. Faster than my single used to air up the 33s. Also runs both my lockers. Happy with it.

A while back I purchased a Viar setup but it was never very fast so I sold it and went back to an old used but reliable mv50.

I'm the one who bought that compressor (400c)! It's working great and replaces my 400p, which is plenty fast enough for my relatively small tires. I'm happy to trade a little time to inspect the rig for the very lightweight and compact package.

I've got mine rigged tankless with a regulator on the output and a relatively low pressure switch so I can now just clamp it on the valve and walk around and inspect the vehicle, etc. until the compressor shuts off. I liked the 400p (portable), but the added steps of unpacking compressor, connecting/disconnecting the alligator clips to the battery, watching the fill-gauge to stop the motor, and re-stowing the now-hot compressor added just enough hassle that I found myself hesitating to air-down so that I wouldn't have to air back up. Eliminating a couple of minor hassles makes me much more likely to air down, which is better for both the rig and the family.

liked the 400p (portable), but the added steps of unpacking compressor, connecting/disconnecting the alligator clips to the battery, watching the fill-gauge to stop the motor, and re-stowing the now-hot compressor added just enough hassle that I found myself hesitating to air-down so that I wouldn't have to air back up.

This. I'm all about making tasks easier, and saving valuable time to enjoy the trip.

This is one reason why I'm a big fan of hard mounted compressor systems, and the Indeflate system. Airing 2 or even 4 tires up or down at once is a big time saver for me.

56D05258-33EC-4D66-8C64-9101706C51D2.jpeg

I have an indeflate. Never use it. Only thing it seems to do for me is take up more room. Exact same time and body movements involved.

I find it to be considerably faster for me. And the gauge accuracy is pretty spot on as well, which I really like. YMMV.

I like the approach, but at some point you're carrying 50' of air hose and 5lbs of brass just to save yourself a few minutes. :D

Lol, I think the whole thing weighs maybe 2 lbs

I like the staun deflators, screw them in and drive,never had a problem with them. get to camp and remove.

I have an indeflate. Never use it. Only thing it seems to do for me is take up more room. Exact same time and body movements involved.

I think it may be different. I haven't really had a chance to test it though. The sequence of tasks and body movements are the same but the order has changed.

Handling each tire individually the sequence is connect, fill/deflate and wait, disconnect. Trying to accomplish an additional task while airing down/up you'll be interrupted.

Handling all four tires simultaneously the task order is, connect X 4, long fill/deflate and wait, disconnect X 4. The long uinterrupted wait allows for additional tasks to be performed.

Or a longer BS session.

I think it may be different. I haven't really had a chance to test it though. The sequence of tasks and body movements are the same but the order has changed.

Handling each tire individually the sequence is connect, fill/deflate and wait, disconnect. Trying to accomplish an additional task while airing down/up you'll be interrupted.

Handling all four tires simultaneously the task order is, connect X 4, long fill/deflate and wait, disconnect X 4. The long uinterrupted wait allows for additional tasks to be performed.

Or a longer BS session.

I use stauns to deflate the tires so can do whatever while deflating. When I’m airing up I have no other task as I’m off trail and leaving. I have the indeflate, for me I’ve found no positive to it.

I use stauns to deflate the tires so can do whatever while deflating. When I’m airing up I have no other task as I’m off trail and leaving. I have the indeflate, for me I’ve found no positive to it.

After the run at the last Desert Rendezvous I do remember @Dave was helping his daughter while he was airing up. Meanwhile I was moving in between wheels. Everything else being equal. Dave's sequence of tasks were more efficient then mine. I did a mental walkthrough of what I do when airing up and I could see a gain. I didn't go with indeflate though. Someone was making their own 4 tire systems and it was as cheap as me buying the parts myself. Buying in bulk vs a one off I guess.

I also picked up Stauns.

My first real job was working for the power company. We had procedures that we had to follow and sign off on. One of those procedures was a visual inspection before and after driving a company vehicle. I kind of still do that. Not when I go to the grocery store but definitely when I go on and come off a trail.

I like to do the visual inspection when I'm airing up/down. I'm already looking at the wheels. If I remember I also stick my head up underneath the vehicle and look for any debris or vegetation that might be caught up in the frame. Especially around the exhaust system. I definitely see an advantage of not having the visual inspection interrupted by moving between wheels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom