The Corona Virus and the US Drug Supply

If, like me, you or a loved one are dependent on one or more prescription medications, here's something you should be aware of.

https://www.cfr.org/in-brief/coronavirus-disrupt-us-drug-supply-shortages-fda

I'm not saying the sky is falling, just that this bears watching. Probably not a good idea to let any prescription get too low before getting a refill. Might also be problematical to get a refill at an out-of-town pharmacy - as many RV'ers do - as opposed to your hometown pharmacy, where they know you.

I really hope this whole situation is a wake up call for America, that we need to start getting back to US manufacturing and stop relying heavily on China. It seems so many industries that US consumers buy items from have basically put "all the eggs in one basket" per say.

Certain meds we use in EMS have been in short supply for the last several years. Main supply comes from China. But IV solutions are manufactured in Dominican Republic and hurricanes have destroyed the factories making lengthy delays for those as well. The supply is out there but supply and demand have driven the price up.
Some drugs have zero availability and this creates issues where the FDA has placed "extensions" on expiration dates for some meds.

Certain meds we use in EMS have been in short supply for the last several years. Main supply comes from China.

Madness.

But IV solutions are manufactured in Dominican Republic and hurricanes have destroyed the factories making lengthy delays for those as well.

You mean the small island country that shares a border with Haiti? What could possibly go wrong?

Again, absolutely stark raving mad.

Let's hope that the powers that be see the lunacy in ALL of this, and that they re-energize and refocus our medical supply chain in the lower 48 where it belongs.

We have a appointment with my daughters doctor tomorrow, and I'm going to try to get them to write me a script for her meds so I can go and pay cash for a 30 day supply. We are with Kaiser, so I doubt they will be willing, and they will only supply us with a 30 day supply (not a controlled substance). A few of the meds she is on cannot be stopped cold turkey without some serious side effects, so I'm trying to get the 30 day extra as a buffer.

We have a appointment with my daughters doctor tomorrow, and I'm going to try to get them to write me a script for her meds so I can go and pay cash for a 30 day supply. We are with Kaiser, so I doubt they will be willing, and they will only supply us with a 30 day supply (not a controlled substance). A few of the meds she is on cannot be stopped cold turkey without some serious side effects, so I'm trying to get the 30 day extra as a buffer.
Kaiser won't write you a 90 day? Not with Kaiser and always get 90 day mail order for my heart meds that I don't want to be without. I've always tried to manipulate the orders such that I have one bottle I'm currently using and another 90 days in 'reserve' just in case. Good luck!!!

Tell them you’re going to India on missionary work or some such pretense that they cannot touch. Demand a 90 day supply for your journey.

I spoke to my doctor at Kaiser and I do the mail order option and I always get a 90 day supply with my meds.

Madness.

You mean the small island country that shares a border with Haiti? What could possibly go wrong?

Again, absolutely stark raving mad.

Let's hope that the powers that be see the lunacy in ALL of this, and that they re-energize and refocus our medical supply chain in the lower 48 where it belongs.

Puerto Rico also supplies some of the meds and they make the actual syringes for injectables.

Puerto Rico also supplies some of the meds and they make the actual syringes for injectables.

At least that’s a US territory with the rule of law and some regulatory sanity checks going on with the FDA etc.

Puerto Rico also had hurricanes which heavily damaged their pharmaceutical facilities and production there has not recovered..........

Puerto Rico also had hurricanes which heavily damaged their pharmaceutical facilities and production there has not recovered..........

Yes as I mentioned above the manufacturing in the Caribbean were destroyed in the hurricanes. Slow going for sure.

Kaiser won't write you a 90 day? Not with Kaiser and always get 90 day mail order for my heart meds that I don't want to be without. I've always tried to manipulate the orders such that I have one bottle I'm currently using and another 90 days in 'reserve' just in case. Good luck!!!
I spoke to my doctor at Kaiser and I do the mail order option and I always get a 90 day supply with my meds.

These meds are not available by mail order, but are not considered controlled substinces. We are going to hit them up tomorrow and see what they say.

These meds are not available by mail order, but are not considered controlled substinces. We are going to hit them up tomorrow and see what they say.

Doctor wrote a 90 day script to try and fill when we are ready to refill the 30 day ones we have now. He said he is not allowed to write prescriptions for outside of Kaiser, unless that is who we use to refill fill our subscriptions now, per Kaiser policy, saying people have used it to abuse the drugs. Not sure sure why it matters as they are not controlled substances.

Doctor wrote a 90 day script to try and fill when we are ready to refill the 30 day ones we have now. He said he is not allowed to write prescriptions for outside of Kaiser, unless that is who we use to refill fill our subscriptions now, per Kaiser policy, saying people have used it to abuse the drugs. Not sure sure why it matters as they are not controlled substances.

Quite odd to tell you the truth. My wife even gets mailed her CS via mail and everything in between. We live about 45 miles from the nearest Kaiser pharmacy though (Lancaster or Bakersfield)

Back
Top Bottom