The Random Thoughts Thread

In other words, a windfall to retailers. Especially since the assumed cost by California lawmakers was 10 cents per bag, and hence the law taxes that much on consumers, and retailers say it's between 4 to 5 cents per bag.

To be fair about this nonsense, there's more to it than just 'They pay 5 cents for the bags and sell them for 10 cents.'

They've got to pay someone to order them, keep track of the inventory, and re-order them as needed. It's taking up floor space in their stores to store them. It's tying up some of their money to buy them and store them. Once all that accounting stuff is figured in, I don't know how much of a 'windfall' it is to them

To be fair about this nonsense, there's more to it than just 'They pay 5 cents for the bags and sell them for 10 cents.'

They've got to pay someone to order them, keep track of the inventory, and re-order them as needed. It's taking up floor space in their stores to store them. It's tying up some of their money to buy them and store them. Once all that accounting stuff is figured in, I don't know how much of a 'windfall' it is to them
Riiight... like consumer packaging, inventory, and distribution costs were never calculated in business operations before the tax. Weak argument, sorry.

The fee is meant to encourage/discourage consumers to get reusable bags rather than use plastic bags at all...I've probably got $10.00 worth of the damn things stashed in my patio/truck. I can never remember to take them in with me when I go to the store.:rolleyes:

Hey, @Gallowbraid. I strongly encourage you to perform an unnatural act upon yourself with all possible vigor. :cool:

View attachment 41085

Sir, don't threaten me with a good time. :D

Having worked for large retailers for years I can tell you that paying 5 cents per bag is ridiculous. They're being accounted for at store level for fractions of a penny per bag. That's just for internal bean counting. The bulk orders placed to fill our internal distribution centers would have us paying even less to the supplying vendor.

BD26E46B-EF5A-45F4-98B0-6BD2C99FFD8E.jpeg

SEMA and then dismantle. I could see a one off commission for someone from a sand soaked environment but useless as you know what on a you know what. Strikes me as a novel place to carry 2 spares.

Watching owners parallel park :rofl But I suspect that will not be the norm. Didn't someone in Detroit try this concept about 10 yrs ago?

Back
Top Bottom